Tuesday, January 10, 2012

On Government: Response from Scott Rigell regarding SOPA.


So I've contacted Representative Rigell twice regarding SOPA, once in November and again in early December.  I was initially a bit excited & curious to see his response when I saw it pop into my email, hoping for a "I'm going to argue against SOPA" type of message.  Unfortunately, I was disappointed as it is just a canned response.

The email follows:

Dear Mr. Goodwin,

Thank you very much for contacting me to express your views on the issues facing our country.  I value and give careful consideration to the good counsel that I receive from you and all those whom I have the privilege to represent in Congress.  I refer to that good counsel as the "wisdom of the district."

As you may know, each session, Congress considers approximately ten thousand bills involving a wide array of issues. As your Congressman, it is my duty to ensure that your views and those of everyone in the 2nd District of Virginia are represented here in Washington. It is the ideas, opinions, and personal stories that you share with me that allow me to be a successful Representative. 

It is truly an honor to represent the people of Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Hampton, and the Eastern Shore, and I greatly appreciate your feedback.  I will work hard to bring the values of the 2nd Congressional District to Washington.

It is important to me that I keep you fully informed regarding how I am representing you in Congress, so please visit my website Rigell.house.gov and sign up for my e-newsletter.  I also encourage you to join me on Facebook at facebook.com/RepScottRigell. Both sites feature timely updates on the votes I am taking on the House floor.

In closing, please know that I consider it a high honor to serve and represent you and your family in Congress.


Mindful that I work for you, I remain
Yours in Freedom,

Scott Rigell
Member of Congress

Mr. Rigell doesn't say, one way or another, what his view is on the bill.  I'm going to interpret this, however, as implicit support.  If you do not say you are in opposition, then I think the only safe course is to assume support and to continue attempts to influence.

Other information:
 A quick search of reddit reveals the views of quite a few Representatives and Senators, both in support or opposition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment